The Commercial Division of the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia provides legal advice and transactional and litigation support to the District Government in the core areas of community and economic development, real estate, procurement, tax, finance, bankruptcy, land use, and public works. The incumbent will report to the Chief of the Government Contracts Section within the Commercial Division and provide legal advice and assistance exclusively to the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) on complex design and construction procurement matters as assigned, including contract advice on the formation and administration of contracts, review of contracts for legal sufficiency, and litigation of contract protests and claims before the District of Columbia Contract Appeals Board and the District of Columbia Superior Court.
DDOT’s mission is to deliver a safe, sustainable, and reliable multimodal transportation network for the residents of, and visitors to, the District of Columbia. In support of this mission, the incumbent will be responsible for providing legal advice on transportation-related procurements for planning, design, engineering, construction, construction management, environmental services, information technology, including intelligent transportation systems (ITS), capital equipment, and performance-based services. The incumbent will, in coordination with DDOT contracting personnel, draft and review contracts for complex transportation-related professional services, construction, equipment and goods, provide legal advice and assistance on alternative project delivery methods, including design-build and public private partnerships litigate bid protests and contract appeals before the District’s Contract Appeals Board.
• Advises DDOT on complex design and construction procurements, including compliance with applicable laws and regulations relevant to District government contracting and the Federal Highway Administration Title 23 Federal-Aid program.
• Provides substantive review of proposed solicitations other procurement-related documentation for consistency with relevant laws, as well as DDOT standards and practice; reviews contract packages for legal sufficiency, performs legal research and provides written and oral comments on procurement and contract matters.
• Keeps abreast of changes in District and federal laws and regulations related contract formation, administration, and litigation.
• Monitors, and participates in the resolution of, legal issues for high-profile and priority projects.
• Advises DDOT with regard to contract claims, and develops legal strategies for defending bid protests and contract appeals, researches issues, and drafts memoranda and legal briefs.
• Defends the District against protests of solicitations and contracts, as well as in appeals of contract claims and represents the District before the Contract Appeals Board and the Superior Court.
• Performs all functions related to case and calendar management, e.g., case file entry and updating, documentation of actions taken, timely review of legal proceedings, and any administrative functions associated with conclusion of assigned matters.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.