Application link: http://app.jobvite.com/m?3A4PtlwM
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: The Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia seeks an experienced attorney to handle procurement matters for the District of Columbia Department of General Services (DGS). The Attorney will report to the Chief of the Government Contracts Section within the Commercial Division of the Office of the Attorney General and will provide legal advice and assistance exclusively within DGS regarding procurement matters and other matters as assigned.
The incumbent will support the mission of DGS with the responsibility for procurements of supplies, services, and construction funded from federal, local, intra-jurisdictional, and alternative project delivery and financing sources, including procurements for architectural and engineering, planning, design, environmental, and construction services, construction materials, capital equipment, and other business-serving goods.
The incumbent will review information presented, applicable statutes, regulations and relevant case law to determine whether RFPs, RFQs, RFIs, and similar requests are legally sufficient, and will assist in preparing RFPs, RFQs, RFIs and similar requests as appropriate in DGS’s procurement processes.
The incumbent will, in coordination with DGS contracting personnel, draft and review drafts of contracts for complex construction, services, supplies, materials, equipment and goods, and negotiate terms of complex contracts for services, supplies, materials, equipment, and goods. In addition, the incumbent will provide legal advice and assistance on alternative project delivery contracting vehicles, litigate bid protests and appeals before the District’s Contract Appeals Board (CAB), and provide advice and assistance on contract litigation in the Superior Court and the Federal District Court.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate should have:
(1) significant knowledge of contracting and procurement laws, principles, regulations, strategies, practices and procedures sufficient to provide legal advice and counsel to DGS on a variety of construction and supply contract issues;
2) expertise in all phases of government contract formation, administration, and procurement, including identification and planning for government contract opportunities, preparation of bids and proposals, contract administration and closeout;
(3) expertise in various types of contracting instruments and processes, including source selection, design-bid-build and design-build acquisition processes and procedures, understanding of design-build, construction management and construction management at risk, and alternative project delivery;
(4) experience conducting detailed and thorough reviews of complex procurement documents, including solicitations, contracts, D&Fs, and construction documents;
(5) experience researching and drafting legal memoranda;
(6) knowledge of the various types of construction contracts and the allocation of risk provided by each type of contract;
(7) knowledge of the various methods of construction delivery and the relationship among the owner, contractor and design professional;
(8) the ability to provide legal advice to agency clients in procurement matters; and
(9) experience related to dispute resolution in the context of construction contracts.
Applicants for this position must have a minimum of 6 years of substantive experience in the area of government contracting.