Afghan Taxes: Amnesty Program Deadline Creates Urgency for Contractors to Address Longstanding Legal Questions


In an article special to PubKLaw, Nichols Liu LLP discusses the upcoming deadline for the Afghan government’s tax amnesty program for government contractors doing business in the country. The program permits qualifying contractors who have not yet filed income tax forms between 2002-2017 to file and pay in full overdue tax liability and only remit 5 percent of assessed tax penalties, relieving them of the other 95 percent of tax penalties. However, contractors should consider key questions before they decide whether or not to take advantage of the amnesty.