Join Steptoe for an interactive discussion with Congressman Jamie Raskin and current and former senior staff from Capitol Hill and the Department of Justice on congressional and DOJ investigations into fraud and waste related to the CARES Act and COVID-19 relief funds.
Investigations and enforcement actions have already begun, and companies and individual recipients of stimulus funds need to take defensive action and position themselves to demonstrate compliance and manage risk – even years after the COVID-19 pandemic ends.
To use current trends to help forecast your potential risk, it is critical to first understand the type of conduct Congress and DOJ are targeting today.
This panel will touch on these topics and more, including:
- Criminal securities fraud prosecutions related to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Limitations in the rollout of the SBA Paycheck Protection Program and how to ensure contracts are being awarded to those who are most in need
- Potential areas for most COVID-19 related fraud and waste
- How the lessons learned from TARP investigations will portend possible similarities for COVID-19 relief participants
- How companies can manage enforcement and litigation risk by adopting good compliance practices